Saturday, July 19, 2014

Sonia Doll

I was perusing Ravelry one day when I noticed a new group had been formed by Nipiti.  She is a very talented crochet designer who created the Paw Patrol pattern that I crocheted back in March for Charlotte's birthday.  Nipiti was seeking out crocheters to help her test her new patterns, and I signed up straight away.  The first test pattern was "My Best Friend Doll with Teddy Bear and a Bag", and I think it is amazing!  Here is my version:


Isn't she cute?  The little nose is so sweet.  I decided to give her to Sonia, and Sonia promptly named her new doll "Sonia".  Creative name.

I had issues getting the part straight on Sonia Doll (definitely user error-- not a problem with the pattern), but that mirrors the results I achieve in real life when I attempt to style Sonia Kid's hair. So, I left the part crooked.



I especially love the methodology used to crochet the cute ruffled socks and sleeves, and the overall bib & straps are terrific.  Nipiti seems to have the same desire as me to crochet as much of an amigurumi as possible in one piece rather than crocheting a ton of separate pieces and having to attach them at the end.  AWESOMENESS.

The teddy bear and bag are removable (please don't lose them, Sonia Kid!!) and ridiculously adorable.




I've never tested a pattern before, and it was a ton of fun!  We testers were supposed to offer criticism, suggestions, and point out errors in the pattern, but Nipiti did such a great job writing the pattern that there wasn't much to criticize or correct.  The My Best Friend Doll pattern is fabulous and is well worth the money!  The other testers' dolls turned out beautiful, too; it's so fun to see how using different yarn colors and weight changes the end product, even when we are all following the exact same pattern.  Ravelry is so fun!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Erin! I came across your blog on Facebook! You and your sister are so talented! I love this Sonia doll. It is super sweet. I'm a knitter...you can find me under KnitsbyKelly on Ravelry or look at my blogs in my google profile. I don't post on my knitting blog too often, but I do keep Ravelry updated. I'm enjoying following along on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Kelly!!! So good to hear from you!! Your family is adorable.... I love that you're living in Europe!! And I love that you knit! Way cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I just saw you friended me on ravelry! It will be fun to see each other's projects there.

      Delete
  3. Hi Erin, I saw your blog on Facebook too and also LOVE your creations!

    PS: I'm the one who taught Kelly to knit, so I also take pride and ownership in all of her projects :-) haha that student has far surpassed her teacher!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erica, you did a great service to the yarn art world by teaching Kelly how to knit! Both of you have made some beautiful things. Not sure how much knitting you're finding that you're able to do with an infant in the house, but fear not.... You'll be able to find time for it again soon! I'm still mad at myself for not crocheting more when Sonia was a baby. I also didn't realize the incredible amount of free, awesome patterns available on the internet! Every time a cute crocheted baby item pops up on Pinterest or Ravelry, I kick myself for not crocheting it for Sonia.

      Delete