Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Sneak preview of Peter's Jake & the Never Land Pirates costume

Shockingly enough, Peter decided he wanted to dress up like Jake (from Jake & the Never Land Pirates, a cartoon on the Disney Channel) for Halloween.  I was all set to buy (or even sew) another Batman costume, but he mentioned wanting to be Jake and actually stuck with the idea over several weeks.  I'm no dummy -- I know not to get a Halloween costume too early only to have the little twerp change his mind, but this seemed like a choice that was gong to stick.  Charlotte jumped on the bandwagon and decided she wanted to dress like another of Jake's crew mates, Izzy.  I'm working on her costume next.

I found a pretty good tutorial for the vest, but I had to draw my own pattern from some fairly vague instructions.  Luckily, I was smart enough to make a muslin first.  A few quick alterations to the pattern, and I had something I could work with!



Here is what Jake looks like in the cartoon:



I used some bottomweight navy material of some sort that I picked up at the store, and I paired it with some prepackaged bias tape and buttons. The tutorial left the armholes unfinished, but I decided to add a little bit of bias tape just to finish it off. I didn't have any navy bias tape, but I figured the cadet blue was close enough.

Peter loves it an has already worn it all over the house.  Now I need to work on getting the shirt, bandana, sash, pants, and boots ready.  I can scrounge for the rest of those by using old t-shirts and his cowboy boots.  I will post the whole finished ensemble when I get it done.  

No comments:

Post a Comment