I found a pretty good tutorial for the vest, but I had to draw my own pattern from some fairly vague instructions. Luckily, I was smart enough to make a muslin first. A few quick alterations to the pattern, and I had something I could work with!
Here is what Jake looks like in the cartoon:
I used some bottomweight navy material of some sort that I picked up at the store, and I paired it with some prepackaged bias tape and buttons. The tutorial left the armholes unfinished, but I decided to add a little bit of bias tape just to finish it off. I didn't have any navy bias tape, but I figured the cadet blue was close enough.
Peter loves it an has already worn it all over the house. Now I need to work on getting the shirt, bandana, sash, pants, and boots ready. I can scrounge for the rest of those by using old t-shirts and his cowboy boots. I will post the whole finished ensemble when I get it done.