I used this cool free pattern and improvised the mane/tail using a curly-q technique that I love.
The blue yarn is Caron One Pound (plucked from Niki's stash that she unloaded on me when I picked up crocheting again this year) and the rest of the colors are all Red Heart Super Saver. I used an F hook on all the colors except for the black (it seemed thinner than the blue, so I went up a hook size so the hooves would be the right size in proportion to the legs).
The pattern called for buttons to be sewn on for the eyes. "Pshaw," I said. "I'll use my beloved safety eyes that I have grown addicted to whilst crocheting my millions of amigurumis." But because the pattern didn't remind me to attach the safety eyes before I stuffed and closed up the head, I forgot to put them on until it was too late. Whoops. So, I ended up using button eyes anyway. Lauren's two now, so hopefully she won't pull off the tiny buttons and eat them. They're too little to be a choking hazard, anyway!
Because I had already used buttons for the eyes, I went ahead and sewed a tiny red heart button on the saddle. I have no memory where that button came from, but it's been in my button collection for years now and I have always wanted to use it somewhere. I think it makes for a nice pop of color.
The purse has two uses: You can go out on the town, looking chic.....
....and when you need a little pick-me-up, you can give it a little snuggle.
Thanks for being my model, Sonia!