Anyway, I made her this table topper in a herringbone pattern (I think that's the right term, right?) by just sort of winging it. I didn't get the idea from anyplace specific. I have a ton of green scraps in my scrap bin, so green seemed like the logical choice. Charlotte's teacher went to Michigan State (yet another reason we love her), so I knew she would like the tiny bit of MSU fabric thrown in there as well.
Some of the seams line up, and some don't. Overall, there is a general sense of it all coming close at least. Just keep a good distance away from it and it works. I tried to be as consistent as I could, but I probably should have starched all of the fabrics first. It's kind of fun working with scraps, because it's like a trip down project memory lane.
The backing/wrap-around binding is a black linen from my stash. I found a tutorial that results in better corners with the wrap-around binding from Cluck Cluck Sew, and I was happy with the results even with using the bulky linen. I cut each piece on the top to be 2" x 7" and sewed them at 30-degree angles and 60-degree angles onto 4" wide strips of muslin. Then, I spray basted it to some felt and added the backing/binding. I didn't do any quilting because I was terrified to screw it up.