It was, however, a complete success. My usual model is playing outside with her little brother, so a pink hanger had to stand in. The pattern called for a lightweight cotton, but I think a knit would be even better for this top. I'm toying with adding pockets in a coordinating eyelet fabric.
Next up is a May Day skirt out of this fabric and the eyelet fabric to match! Now I just need to run out and buy some more elastic for a waist band.
For future reference, I altered the measurements of the pattern to cut the fabric as follows:
shirt body = 40" x 18"
straps = 17" x 7" (x2)
1/4" elastic for the body = 23"
1/4" elastic for the straps = cut about 12" and then shortened to about 8" or so to fit Charlotte.
I think the bodice could stand to use a little less fabric, so I will probably cut Charlotte's to be 38" x 18". I also strayed from the instructions to add a French seam rather than just zig zagging the vertical seam on the bodice. It looks waaaaaay better on the inside. I also used 1/4" elastic for the top of the bodice because I didn't have any 1/2" elastic on hand and figured it would work just as well. I love this pattern and can't wait to make one for Charlotte!