Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Lala Dolls

I received a request to crochet a Lalaloopsy doll, and first I had to Google them.  Lala-what now?





I soon learned all about about these adorable dolls, but I was flummoxed.  They are designed to look like handmade rag dolls, but the dolls that you buy in the store are PLASTIC.  Seriously, they're plastic.  Why in the world are they not made of fabric?  You can't snuggle a plastic doll.  I looked on the internet for a free crochet pattern, and lo and behold, I found one here.  I ended up making two, and I have received requests to make several more, so I have some more Lalaloopsying in my future....


 

7 comments:

  1. How did you make them so big? My daughter would love one that big. I have a lalaloopsy pattern now from epic kawaii. Any advice?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I linked the pattern I used above, but in case you missed it, here it is: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/just-another-doll

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoops, I hit enter too soon. I used worsted weight cotton yarn in the bigger one and Red Heart Super Saver on the second one. The cotton yarn doesn't compress as much when you crochet tightly, so that one turned out bigger. Plus, I think I used a G hook with the cotton one and an F hook with the Red Heart Super Saver one. Both are a nice huggable size, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok thanks! I had run accross the pattern you posted but it came out much smaller. I will have to up my hook size and see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What kind of yarn did you use? I think the original pattern might call for sport weight (?) but I always just use worsted weight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used worsted weight and I am pretty sure I used an E/3.5 mm hook. She only came out about 12" tall. My little one loves it but it's not nearly as huggable as yours turned out. My middle girl's b-day is coming up and she is my strawberry shortcake girls so I was going to use some of the lalaloopsy concept but if I can make her as big as you did I will be..."the best mom in the whole wide world!" Of course she has more of a wubba sound when she speaks lol So, you think it is just a matter of using a larger hook? I do have a tendency to crochet too tightly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow-- you crochet even more tightly than I do! Yeah, try an F or a G hook. Also, try the cotton yarn. The doll is heavier that way, but it turns out huge!

    ReplyDelete