Anyway, here is the finished product:
Charlotte chose the button, of course. Granny could totally rock a cupcake button without batting an eyelash, so I went with it. There's a reason it looks like the pouch has wings -- I added in the neck strap by sewing some twill tape into the side seams, and then I turned them 90 degrees before tacking them down so they would stay that way.
Yeah, so quilting with bright pink thread on black fabric was probably a poor idea. My feed dogs aren't thrilled when they try to feed felt (which is the batting I used), so I think that's why the stitching looks so wobbly. I guess that's why you are supposed to use backing fabric (which is opted not to do because I didn't want any extra bulk in such a small pouch).
I'm going to try this pattern again today, hopefully with smaller seam allowances and a properly-sized finished product! Perhaps I will make it without the piecing, but still doing some straight-line quilting to give it texture. I might change up the fabrics just for fun. I certainly won't be quilting with such highly-visible thread, that's for sure!