I made an even cooler version of this great tutorial -- this time using fusible fleece batting and a bit of Craft Fuse on the end circles (for extra strength and stability). The inside lining is plain black (and didn't photograph so well), but the cool part is that I reused the material from an umbrella that my kids ruined a while back. It should be waterproof if it came from an umbrella, right? I just need to get a hold of a cord stopper thingy for the inside drawstring part, and then this puppy is ready to go!
The addition of the fusible fleece (cut slightly smaller than the pattern pieces to keep it out of the seam allowances, and trimmed if it did get in there by accident) didn't make the bag harder to sew at all. It adds a nice heft to the bag and perhaps a bit of protection for the contents. I also put a thin strip of the fusible fleece in the handle. I wish I could say I tried to line up the flowers on the top and the bottom of the bag, but that was just a happy accident (well, almost -- they're still a little wonky)! I guess this pattern does work better with a tinier and less regular print because of the issue of matching up between the top and the bottom.