Sunday, August 25, 2013

Nicholas's One-Eyed Minion

Happy 4th birthday to my fabulous, funny, adorable, sweet nephew, Nicholas!  I heard that he likes minions (from the Despicable Me movies), which is perfect because I had seen a bunch of minion amigurumi patterns pop up on Pinterest lately.  These little dudes were made to be crocheted-- big blocks of color and simple shapes.  This is one of the biggest stuffed creatures I have ever made:


He was so fun to crochet!  Nicholas's mom (my sister-in-law) said that he likes the one-eyed minions the best, so that's what I made.  When I looked at pictures of minions on the internet, I found millions of facial expressions that they wear, but for simplicity's sake, I chose an extremely simply sheepish smile.  Here's one of the inspiration pictures I used:


The free pattern was very easy to follow, but I had a hard time making the color change between yellow and black look smooth.  If I ever crochet another minion, I think I'll just make the black strap on his glasses a whole separate piece and whipstitch it on.


Love the overall straps!  I added the front bib pocket (it wasn't in the original pattern).  My materials consisted of Red Heart Super Saver worsted weight yarn & poly-fil stuffing, and my weapon of choice was an F hook.


Margie Cat was very suspicious of this little yellow dude.


Today is Nicholas's actual birthday, and his mom said that he loves his minion!  She sent me this picture a little bit ago.


Happy birthday, little buddy!!  We love you so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment