Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Playday Frock from my One-Yard Wonders book

I tackled another project from the Fabric-by-Fabric One-Yard Wonders book that Erin got me for our birthday.  I probably should have used a softer fabric (this was a quilter's weight fabric but it's kind of stiff) but I just love the print.  I think I finally used up the bulk of this fabric (originally purchased for the preschool teachers' aprons) but still have some scraps I can use for small bags.

ANYWAY, this project was on page 86 in the section of the book that features projects for quilter's weight fabric.  I think this would be pretty cute out of the teal blue polka-dotted knit that I got recently -- might need to make that for Sonia before I finally send Erin her package with her purse and pouch in it.




I tooooooootally should have made the pockets out of a contrasting fabric -- they really blend in to the background and they really are an important design element.  This would also be a cute pattern for pajamas if you just leave the pockets off and use a soft fabric.



I did a triple line of stitching around the fluttery sleeves as a happy accident (it's a long story).  It looks kind of cool, but isn't really all that noticeable.  I also altered the pattern a little to make French seams down the sides (I HATE raw edges in projects, and I have yet to get my hands on a serger) and to extend the bias tape facing under the arms to encompass the raw seam where the sleeves are attached to the dress.  Worked pretty well, actually.  Why on earth do pattern designers not take the 2 minutes extra it would take to think through how to hide a raw seam in an unlined garment?  It only took me a heartbeat to figure out how to do it, and I'm a complete sewing moron.


Fun pattern!  I will definitely be making it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment